Monday, May 19, 2008

It's Greek to me!

I went out on a hike yesterday in Girona with a friend and we were talking about Greece. She told me she had visited once here for about 6 weeks when she was about 18 (which was only like 6 years ago for her...) anyway she said she didn't learn a bit of Greek cause she spent the 6 weeks trying to figure out the letters. I have to admit I was a little skeptic, really how hard could it be? She was right.... It really doesn't make any sense. I did some research to find out who was the first person to say "It's Greek to Me!" .....turns out it is derived from a Medieval Latin proverb "Graecum est; non potest legi" (It is Greek; it cannot be read). Anyway, they were right. Greek letters don't really seem to have a rhyme or reason.

I got to Athens late this afternoon and went exploring to find the Acropolis. I found a few other places and was within spitting distance to the monument but missed it altogether. I was on a time clock so I busted back to the hotel to meet my colleague and will have to try later this week to get there. ARGH! Anyway, I found a ton of cool things along the way .... lots of old stuff! Stay tuned for more news from Greece!




2 comments:

Jen said...

Now, Jill, you had to learn the greek alphabet when you pledged DG at CU. I can't believe you don't remember all of the letters! HAHA...

In the bonds,
Jen

Catherine Harrell said...

Jill - I loved this entry. I hope you enjoy Greece... are you just in Athens or also touring around some of the other areas? Enjoy every minute! Love - Catherine