Friday, February 15, 2008

What did we do before cell phones?


Admit it... you ask yourself this question atleast once a week. "What did we do before cell phones?" "How boring was my drive to work?"
"How did I meet up with people?" "How did I know someone was running late?"

Well, I now know the answer to all of these questions..... You planned, you listened to the radio, you committed to being somewhere and apologized if you were late.....

It isn't easy living without a cellphone, they do make our lives much easier, more convenient and our drives less boring. I had to live without a cell phone for the first 3 weeks in Girona. This was torturous and wonderful all at the same time.
Torturous.... when I needed to talk to someone or if someone had to get a hold of me it was near to impossible. I would have to give out Jonathan's number for people to find me.... this became quite hilarious as Jonathan then had to field Spanish phone calls from my school, the apartment agency etc.
Wonderful..... It was actually nice not to be tied to a crackberry (Blackberry) or a phone and I was addicted to mine....so I felt a little lighter..... not worrying about missing calls or running my minutes up ...... or what time of the day was it to make a call.

I am happy to say you can live without a cell phone. I recommend trying for a day or so.... it may be hard at first but you may find yourself planning more, being present with people instead of texting during a conversation... and maybe just enjoying the ride to work.

P.S. I did finally get a cell phone....

No comments: