Thursday, January 24, 2008

Why babies cry.....


Jonathan really should be the one writing this entry as it was his insight the other day while we were walking around Girona.

We now understand why babies cry. No this wasn't some big scientific discovery, it has just come personal experience, and no we are not recalling our earliest memories of our childhood or did we get a baby upon arrival to Girona.

Not being able to speak to someone and tell them what you want, what you need or just have a polite conversation is hard. Better yet it is exhausting, and quite frustrating. So it's no wonder babies cry. THEY CAN'T TALK! I know it may seem like this is really not that big of a finding, but until you are living somewhere and realize you can't really talk to other people it seems like a huge insight and alas crying babies become perfectly logical.

Now I have to admit that I thought I was starting to get some Spanish into my vocabulary. I can ask for stuff at the bakery and read menu's and such. I can understand for the most part what people are saying, but got crushed the other day when I went to a wedding shop to try on some dresses.



I walked in confident (I had been studying how to ask to try something on... and how to say my size....) The wonderful sales woman started to talk to me...... Nothing...... Nothing happened. My brain did not comprehend it. I would hear one word I thought I knew and then I would be translating that in my head and would lose the rest. In the meantime I am (again) frantically looking through my phrasebook trying to figure out what to say. It actually turned out to be hysterical, the woman Marisa was so patient with me and so sweet. I was finally able to get an appointment for the following day to try on some dresses..... and in her last comment to me she said.... You go study Spanish tonight and I will study English and tomorrow..... it will be much better! and it was! But not because I had studied..I took a friend with me that speaks Spanish. I know cheap way out... but it really helped!

No comments: